Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My Working Space

Something has been off since I moved and started graduate school. See, suddenly (because of the change in the nature of my living situations), I didn't have a desk anymore. So I would do homework on the couch, on the kitchen table, and elsewhere, but I always seemed to have problems studying for long. Part of it was the roommate factor, but part of it was the space itself. I didn't have a comfortable space in which to set out all of my school work, a space dedicated solely to reading and writing.

But that has changed. I bought a desk this past weekend, and yesterday I worked to set it up. When I sat down in the chair, I knew that this would be a place, in my room and away from the "social" areas of the apartment, where I could read, study, do my work. It's a nice desk; it has room for my laptop, and little shelves for my Post-it notes. I can line my research guides up along the back for quick reference. I actually have a place to leave my laptop, instead of whatever surface I can place it on in the living room.

We'll see how nice it is to have a nice, private space for working and reading. Hopefully it'll help me keep my head above water when it comes to my homework!

No comments: