Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Meme! Books!

Look at the list of books below: *Bold the ones you’ve read* Italicize the ones you want to read* Leave blank the ones that you aren’t interested in.

I'm not going to italicize all the ones that I want to read because that'd be ridiculous. There will be commentary...

1. The DaVinci Code (Dan Brown)
Unfortunate event of my reading career. I picked it up because my boyfriend liked it, only to find out that he liked it because he recognized all the places. Bad, bad.

2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
Ah, Jane Austen. I avoided her for a while, only to fall in love with her wholeheartedly last semester. I'm winding my way through her canon.

3. To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
Of course! Fantastic!

4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
5. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien)
Yes! Yes!

6. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (Tolkien)
Yes! Yes!

7. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Tolkien)
I wrote my senior thesis on The Lord of the Rings.

8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)
A childhood favorite--I read it over and over again...

9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling)
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
God, no.

13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling)

14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
16. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (Rowling)
17. Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)
18 The Stand (Stephen King)
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Rowling)
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
This was a well-timed book in my young life. I need to re-read it now that I'm older and see if it has the same power for me.

21. The Hobbit (Tolkien)

Of course I read it. And loved it. And read it some more.

22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)

23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
Fantastic book. I borrowed it from a dear friend and enjoyed it, then passed it off to Lance, who also loved it.

26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
I discovered it in high school and adored it. It was so funny! (Though my devoutly Christian soul was troubled by his flippant comments about Christianity...)

27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)

28. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)
Another childhood favorite that I read about a zillion times.

29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)

30. Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)
31. Dune (Frank Herbert)
My friend Kim got me to read this, and I really enjoyed it.

32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)
Maybe...all Nicholas Sparks books run together in my head (they suck, in other words--and I have read two or three of them...)

33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
I read Anthem!

34. 1984 (George Orwell)
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
Working on it, anyway.

43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)

44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)
45. The Bible
46. Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb)
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
I've read this twice now. I read it originally for Donna's class, and loved it, and on the second reading discovered just how well she wrote this book. Barbara Kingsolver is an amazing writer and essayist. I recommend The Bean Trees. I read it in high school and cried at the end, it was so good.

52. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)

53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
54. Great Expectations (Dickens)
This was my first Dickens. I like Dickens a lot and would read more of him given the chance.

55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)

I think I hated this book in high school, when I read it independently. I might feel differently now, considering it's one of the "Great Books".

56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling)
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
My first Margaret Atwood novel, read in annoyance because I kept seeing her referred to by other authors and critics. The annoyance soon dropped away, and I enjoyed the book--it is interestingly structured and poignant.

60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrew Niffenegger)
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
63. War and Peace (Tolstoy)
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice)
65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davis)
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Ann Brashares)
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
Started it!

69. Les Miserables (Hugo)
70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Fielding)
72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez)
73. Shogun (James Clavell)
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
Another childhood favorite, read about a zillion times.

76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)
Read it one summer and enjoyed it. Smith can be a little heavy-handed, but she tells a good story.

78. The World According to Garp (John Irving)

79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
80. Charlotte's Web (E.B. White)
My first novel ever!

81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck)
This book is depressingly good. (What's up with that, Steinbeck?)

83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)
84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
85. Emma (Jane Austen)
Of course!

86. Watership Down(Richard Adams)
I read it my senior year of high school and liked it. I need to reread it to make sure it's still as good as I remember (my tastes changed drastically in college).

87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
89. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
91. In The Skin Of A Lion (Ondaatje)
92. Lord of the Flies (Golding)
93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)
94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
A beautiful story of family and bees.

95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)

Uggh, no, but I read some other horrible three word titled book by Ludlum. My critique: "The Same Story".

96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)

97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
This book fascinated me to no end. I watched the movie and liked it. Then I picked up the book and was blown away. There is so much going on that I felt the need to write for weeks after reading this book.

98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford
99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)
Has anyone really read Ulysses? I mean, really.

Hrm, 42. Not too bad, I suppose (almost half!)

No comments: