Monday, June 23, 2008

An Ultimate Sport

Years and years ago*, I learned a new game that I really enjoyed. That game was Ultimate Frisbee. I then joined up with the UCA team as one of the few girls who would play. Then I moved to Fayetteville, where you thought I would have joined up with the Ultimate crowd (which is bigger then in Conway), but I never did.

Until this summer.

Saturday found me playing in a Women's Summer League tournament, enduring the beating sun, glaring heat, and fatigue (as I fought to keep myself hydrated and my legs moving). Usually game play is at night, when the sun is starting to go down, and it's cooler. But oh no, not for the tournament. It was fun. It was harsh.

I had a lot of fun. I'm pretty new to play, so I get confused a lot about what we're supposed to be doing. But I did all right--I at least was an extra pair of legs for the team. We won our first game, and then got brutally beat in the second game, partly because we were so tired and it was so hot. The first few points were great for us though.

My hurt leg seems to be healed. I've been taking the advice of someone who has had a leg injury, and I iced and elevated and rested it adequately; there haven't been new complaints and the original pain seems to be gone. I promise I'm taking it easy.

Tomorrow the summer league starts (co-ed). Co-ed ultimate is more my speed; girls get a little...competitive sometimes. Yay for lots and lots of running and chasing of a disc! It's wonderful to be involved with a team again, playing something I really enjoy.

*Somewhere around 2003, I think.

No comments: