Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Joining the Texters...

Damn. I did it--I signed up for text-messaging on my phone. Not entirely by my own choice, mind you, but I figured that if people insisted on sending messages to my phone, then I may as well make it apart of my cell phone plan so that I don't get angry every time I receive a message on my cell phone...

Anyway, I don't know what to think of it. I can understand the convenience of being able to text someone (you're in a meeting or class; you need to let someone know something quickly), but at the same time, we managed before without texting.

It's at times like these that I feel like an old, curmudgeonly Luddite.

My other objections to texting include text spam (which I've received), and the horrible use of spelling and punctuation in texting. But...those things exist on the Internet, and I still use it. So I'm going to try out text messaging for a month and see if it's worth the extra five bucks. If not, see you later texting.

Please don't judge my joining as indicative of my plans to become a frequent and misguided texter. I'll just use it like any other technology--because it's fun and (might) make my life easier. Maybe.

3 comments:

PossumCrepes said...

You should see my entry on cellphones. Technology has its places. It annoys me, though, when people apply it in ways that are not necessary and then claim that it is crucial. It isn't crucial! It's damned annoying, that's what it is.

That was me being curmudgeonly.

Kathryn said...

Just don't start texting me. I hate getting text messages and refuse learn how to send them. Hehe. I sound like a grouchy old lady.

bockstark.knits said...

Texting is a way of life in Europe. I don't like it much but it is cheaper than calling...