Saturday, November 03, 2012

the joy of running

I somehow, inexplicably didn't run all week.  I know why--I was furiously, crazily busy. I was trying to meet with students, do my own work, finish up projects, read student work, etc.  When I came home, I'd prepare dinner (or lay on the couch while L did) or go straight to bed.  I'd get up early to work.  In the end, though I'd intend to run, it'd get shuffled in favor of sleeping more or working more.

And I missed it.

Worse yet, my body doesn't take well to a lack of running.  The first few days, my legs feel refreshed.  I had run 12 miles on Sunday, so I felt pretty good until Wednesday.  Then I began to feel achy, sore.  My legs hurt. Even though I was biking, it just wasn't enough.

Each day, the aches in my legs got worse.  They felt tight and sore and awful.  All I wanted to do was lace up my shoes and hit the pavement, but I kept getting distracted.

Today, I finally got outside.  It was a glorious day, the perfect temperature. The sun was out and the air was crisp, fresh, and the humidity was low.  I started out just intending to run 4 since I slacked all week...but it felt so good that when I hit the 2 mile mark, I just kept going.  I turned around at 3 to get in 6 miles total.  At first my legs complained a little, but I hit my stride about a mile in and it felt AWESOME.

Running, in other words, is getting higher billing in my priorities.

No comments: