Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Podcastin'

I've been delving wholeheartedly into the world of podcasts. I think they're great--and if I ever got my iPod an iTrip, I could listen to them while riding in the car on long trips.

The newest podcast that I've encountered is The Writer's Almanac with Garrison Keillor. Many will know Garrison Keillor as the host of A Prairie Home Companion (which I adore). The Writer's Almanac is a daily podcast, about 6 minutes long, that gives a bit of literary history and concludes with Garrison Keillor* reading a poem. I love it--you should check it out. Today is Anne Frank's birthday, so the episode was about her life and now famous diary. Yesterday's poem "The Calf Path" by Sam Walter Foss was a hilarious poem. You can check the website for transcripts of the episodes as well, if you prefer to read the poems as well as hear Garrison Keillor read them aloud.



(*I find myself at a loss when I try to type just "Garrison" or "Keillor" or "Mr. Keillor". No matter what I try, I seem to only be able to refer to Garrison Keillor as his full name, Garrison Keillor.)

2 comments:

the secret knitter said...

I connect my iPod in the old school manner: a cassette adapter. What I read about the iTrip didn't generate a lot of confidence in its consistency and sound, especially for the price.

Jenn said...

Well, an iTrip sort of thing. The problem with the cassette adapter is that I don't have a cassette player (darn).