Thursday, November 12, 2020

time for a therapist

 I keep meaning to contact my university's EAP to talk to a therapist--the past months have had lots of change (even good change, like a baby!), stress, and anxiety. The election sparked a lot of that, to the point that on election night, I was in a really dark place, wondering if I could live another four years with the daily onslaught of awfulness (and I recognize my privilege here--I can't imagine the stress and anxiety that marginalized individuals and communities must be suffering).

So, it's been on my to-do list, and yet...I have not yet made the call. This week, I realized I may no longer have a relationship with one of my siblings (who was really the only one I interacted with regularly), and work stuff is...work stuff. We are being furloughed, and I'm feeling the weight of trying to get all my students through my class while they are also shouldering a lot, not to mention the various challenges of working in a large department with all its messiness and conflicts.

It's a lot.

On the upside, I basically took this morning off because I had to run up to campus after I got the Very Threatening Interlibrary Loan Email (if you know, you know), and I had some other books they wouldn't renew for me, so we excitedly loaded up the car (ha!) and headed to campus. I got my books and dropped them off at the library, then we ran by one of the local coffee shops for to-go treats. Then we spent about 45 minutes playing in the sunshine at the train depot grounds, while the baby napped in the car seat. It was cold, but the sun was shining, and we could see the newly snow-covered mountains. It was glorious.


I also had a good class session with my core group of students who show up to ask questions and talk to me about their projects, which was a good reminder that I love teaching, especially when I'm just giving the students space to explore something interesting and learn what they want.

But, I promise I'll call the EAP tomorrow. I think it's time to make sure I'm taking care of my mental health as best I can right now.

No comments: