Friday, October 27, 2006

NaNoWriMo

So, in spite of grad school and working full time, I decided to participate in NaNoWriMo--National Novel Writing Month--and write a 50,000 word novel in a month. They are also pretty nifty because they sponsor a Young Writer's Program (yay!) and half their proceeds from their store and donations go to support the building of libraries in Vietnam. Pretty cool program.

Anyway, any of you all who are on the HCOL will have seen the thread that created the madness. I've decided on the format of my novel--30 chapters, one for each day in November. I think I'll call it A Novel November mostly because I doubt I'll ever publish it, and I thought the title clever. But it is one of my life goals to write a novel, and I think with some support and encouragement, I can do it.

Thus, throughout the month of November, I shall post excerpts/chapters of my novel for you all to comment/encourage me/critique, whatever floats your boat. As Donna said, it's the prose part of my title!

Grad school update--my paper that I turned in? I got an A on it, making me feel confident in my abilities. Hoorah! But it wasn't the A that most impressed me--it was the comments that my professor wrote, comments about how much she enjoyed reading it, and how my writing is good (though in need of polish still). This is both encouraging and helps me to feel that I am transitioning from the world of undergraduate learning to the pursuits of an academic.

No comments: