Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Rapturous Delight...

To use a 19th C. phrase, straight from the world of British Romanticism. I simply want to express the joy and passion with which I regard my wonderful grad class this semester. Simply put, it excels my expectations. Not only do I feel like we're reading great books and learning about a formative period of literature, but also I feel like I'm acquiring more (and improving) skills I'll need to be a successful academic.

The class is difficult and challenging, but that's partly why I love it. It forces me to be prepared to engage in meaningful discussion (and back up my points), and really strive for excellence. And not only is the material interesting (literature, criticism, history), but the professor is also wonderful. She's charming, intelligent, and a great teacher--she's one of those that will look at you and ask "Why?" after you say something, so you'd better be ready to back yourself up. It's an all around great class...and here's a reading list :)
  • The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole
  • The Monk by Matthew Lewis
  • Zofloya by Charlotte Darce
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Vathek by William Beckford
  • The Bride of Lammermoor by Sir Walter Scott
  • Emma by Jane Austen
And some other very intriguing works to be later discussed, I'm sure. After this moment of rapturous delight in the beauties of my lit class, we can now return to the regularly scheduled posting of things pertaining to books. (Though this does technically...)

No comments: