Monday, November 15, 2021

spring learning

 This week, I'm wrapping up my personal training sessions with my final fitness test, which will measure how much strength I've developed. It's a lot--I already saw how well I have advanced when we tested in October!

This got me thinking about spring. The strength training came to be my personal development/learning activity for the fall semester, something detached from my professional work/learning. And I wanted to do something similar for spring, so I think I'm going to sign up for a class I've long longed to take: a metalsmithing class out of the Art Department!

For years, the Art Department (who used to have their offices in the same building as the English Department) would advertise this class, and for years, I dreamed of having 5 hours or more a week to spend soldering, tinkering, bending, and whatever else you do to make metal into beautiful things. Guess what, though? I actually have some time for that in the spring!

So I started the process to become a non-degree seeking student (which, by the way, they ask for my high school credentials, a thing I found hilarious because it's been over 20 years ago), so I can sign up for the class. And it'll be my first shot at using the tuition waiver we get as employees!

As I was planning this, I kept thinking about how I'm surrounded by experts and expertise in all areas--a literal center of learning--and I should be finding ways to take advantage of that and keep on learning. So I may also sign up for a class here and there to keep reminding myself of what it means to be a learner and to live by my values of being curious, being engaged.

And next semester, hopefully I'll get some pretty things to go along with that learning!

No comments: