Tuesday, December 22, 2020

el fin

 It's the end of the semester, hell yes. Normally, I'm excited, but this semester was a slog and was grueling. However, I don't want to just focus on how tough the semester was--I had awesome students, and many of them were kind and supportive of me and let me know that they appreciated me. In my new engineering communication class, I heard positive things from all of them about the class and about how much they learned. So, definitely some successes amidst the pain.

I'm trying not to fall into the trap where a new semester means everything will be magically better because it won't. In therapy terms, it's like "pulling a local," or the wishful thinking that some have about starting over in a new place. The new year/semester won't be the end of the challenges, due to COVID, and there'll be lots of work to do with the new administration. As far as COVID goes, the end is in sight, but it will be some time before we all have access to the vaccine and can begin resuming normal lives, so I'm bracing for a rough winter. We are being furloughed, so I'll be dealing with that in the spring.

But, I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm teaching fewer students and teaching classes I know well. I'm likely going to be on sabbatical next year, and I hope to have space to work on new research projects and apply for funding to support my sabbatical project. I hope to travel next summer/fall. I am involved in a research-support group that is intended to help me develop myself professionally and to make connections with influencers on campus. So, I have lots to look forward to, even while still working from my basement and trying to balance all the things.

But, for now, a celebration to being done and time to start doing some fun Christmas projects, self-care focused tasks, and other fun things.

No comments: